Putney Lawn Tennis Club was established in 1879 for Lawn Tennis and Archery. Originally the grounds were closer to Putney High Street, situated on the site now occupied by Putney Police Station. Subsequently the move was made to Balmuir Gardens.
When originally founded in 1879, the members were issued shares and as time went on these were distributed far and wide. In order to safeguard the club from developers the majority of the shares were tracked down and purchased back by the club.